Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Jellybean! - The "Hey Sexy!" Mix!


Jellybean! - The "Hey Sexy!" Mix

I was initially drawn to the music of Jellybean! (aka Kelly Bold) when I stumbled upon her ukulele based, sing-songy version of T-Pain's "Lean Like A Cholo" on her MySpace page. I was floored - all the banality and stupidity of mainstream hip-hop was given the most excellent, effortless send-up possible.

Two shows of hers later, I finally got my hands on her CD, "The "Hey Sexy" Mix". It turns out that much of the Jellybean! catalog is based on ukulele (and sometimes acoustic guitar) tributes to Usher, Snoop Dogg, and others. This would have simply passed as a fey novelty if the songs weren't set to some of the most perfect pop melodies I've ever heard.

If you've heard Snoop Dogg's unforgivably stupid "Sensual Seduction" (like 99% of the population of the USA), you've never heard it like this...morphed into a swinging three-chord pop song topped off by infectious (and auto-tuned!) vocals, it kicks off the album nicely. The result is hilarious, yet immensely satisfying listening. The formula is stretched to a few more songs - "Love in This Club", "Low" and "Lean Like A Cholo". While these others are also good for a laugh, it's possible the concept can wear thin for a few listeners, due to the sort-of-samey G, C, D chord changes. But that doesn't matter!

The album only gets better once Jellybean!'s originals are introduced. The nigh-perfect "Friend Pretend" gives me the same naive-pop high I get from Calvin Johnson or Belle and Sebastian. "I Hate Vegetables" is a wonderful stab at a They Might Be Giants-esque singalong, only you don't really want your kids to hear it (for various reasons). The clever "Drug Deal Boyfriend" is - hey! - an extended metaphor... "If I did drugs, then I guess I'd need a dealer, and I wouldn't want that dealer to be anyone but you." "Pokesong" is a Pokesong. And it's probably the first ever written.

In fact, Jellybean!'s entire catalog of music is based on fresh, new, and funny musical ideas. Plus, it's chock full of adorable melodies that will make you smile. Jellybean! is a true original.

www.myspace.com/jellybeanghettotech

1 comment:

RWAN said...

Hey!!! I just came across Jellybean! music and i love it. Bit Impossible to find that "Hey Sexy!" Mix neither that "Little Treasures" tape. Do you have them and would you be kind enough to share??? Not many blogs or info on her on internet! Hope u get this message! Nice blog by the way!