Thursday, November 27, 2008

The Top Grossing Films Of 1984 and Existential Hero - Be Yourself/Be Others




Let's get this out of the way, I love lo-fi and DIY music. I have infinite respect for artists such as Kimya Dawson, Daniel Johnston, Jad Fair, Moldy Peaches, and Beat Happening. However, I believe there is a point where a song decides to quit being enjoyable and tuneful and is crushed under the weight of its own forced DIY-ness, rendering it unlistenable. While this 2008 split between Illinois' The Top Grossing Films of 1984 and California's Existential Hero doesn't completely cross that line, it veers very, very dangerously towards it.

"Be Yourself/Be Others" is not only a split between two artists, it is also divided between covers and originals (and confusingly, at one point, Existential Hero guests on the other artist's side.) But on to the music - Top Grossing Films leads off the first side of the album, and all four of his contributions feel like complete throwaways. This is very frustrating considering the artist's potential and ability as a songwriter -- it feels like he just isn't trying much. "Cat Song" makes an attempt at carrying an actual tune, and has a tiny gleam of lyrical charm. However, anything enjoyable about the song is lost in the forced off-key clangor. Sadly, the contributions end here with much to be desired. I desperately wanted to understand these songs, but I could not bring myself to play them more than once or twice. While I have enjoyed a lot of this artist's past work, this offering left me cold.

. Existential Hero takes the helm for the next half of the album and things get a bit better, or at least more listenable. His interpretation of Neutral Milk Hotel's "The King of Carrot Flowers pt. 1" is weak, but passable. Perhaps the most interesting attempt is his revamping of A Drum And An Open Window's "Summer Camp Pop Song". Although the stripped down, cheerful pop of the original is stripped away to a slow, repetitive R&B beat with a bizarre overuse of vocal autotune, it still stands out among the weaker tracks of the album. The entire CD finds its best track in Existential Hero's cover of Daniel Johnston's "Broken Dream" - Johnston's mood is channeled very nicely into a crudely strummed nylon string guitar and a whole lot of honesty. It's a great song that fits Steven Ray Morris's interpretation well. R&B attempt number two "Leave The Door Open" is strange, funny, and oddly stellar.

I'm starting to think my appraisal of the album, especially The Top Grossing Films of 1984's side, is unfair. Maybe I simply don't understand where the motive for this stuff comes from, and maybe I should give these guys credit on the fact that they're just making music to have fun. However, I have no choice to say that my critical opinion stands. Although "Be Yourself/Be Others" is bursting with creative and experimental talent from both sides of the field, and I desperately pleaded...PLEADED with myself to actually like the music and to muster up the necessary strength of will to overstuff this review with ego-stroking praise, I'd be fooling myself if I didn't call it a letdown.

:'(

www.myspace.com/existentialhero
www.myspace.com/thetopgrossingfilmsof1984

2 comments:

Steven Ray Morris said...

I appreciate the honest feedback man, I really do although I knew going in that my half wouldn't necessarily be for everyone's taste. I will praise the auto-tune effect to the day I die!

I really like "Cat Song" a lot. It's sweet and beautiful and really shines a light on Rusty more than anything in some ways. Plus his super DIY tinyfolk cover is just so ballsy you gotta listen and give it credit for that.

I'm glad you tell it like it is though, I am always seeking to improve the craft and I can't do that if people keep saying "yes" all the time. =)

The Game said...

i have to agree with you about this being a let down especially rustys side. some of his pop culture references are cute but seem forced and the music is wholly lacking, and the tinyfolk cover :(.

some people have the penchant to explore in the DIY world and by listening and giving them feedback i think we help the community as a whole, and experiments like this help each other and the songsters themselves get better as well.

good review morgan